Monday, April 12, 2010

Interview with Poet TaMara Campbell

1. What was the first poem that inspired you?

The first poem that inspired me was Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelo

2. Who is your favorite poet/s? Why?

I really like Love…The Poet. Her delivery is amazing. I also love Jessica Holter. She has a powerful message that she shares through her poetry! Her content is very similar to mines. Her delivery and passion is nothing short of dynamic!

3. If you could have a conversation with a poet, who would it be? What 2 questions would you like to ask them?

Jessica Holter. I was very curious to find out the inspiration behind the Punany Poets. I also wanted to understand her passion for sexuality! Her matter of fact style is so in your face and that inspired me even more. She had passion that was very similar to mind. Her message regarding sexuality and HIV was empowering and I felt that we had a very similar message and mission in life. I actually had the opportunity to perform with the Punany Poets in NYC this April, and for me that was indescribable! Just to share the stage with someone that you honor and respect is very humbling!

4. What does poetry mean to you?

It's the art of eroticism appealing to uninhibited emotions and fantasy you so desire. It's the taste of the forbidden fruit quenching the thirst and hunger you never knew existed. It's channeling energy throughout your entire body, leaving you breathless and yearning for more. It's taboo. It's passion. It's expression. It's love. It's sexuality. It's sensuality. It's liberation. It's beauty. It's the art.

5. What type of poetry do you write?

I write sensual erotic and love poetry and short stories

6. What do you think are the basic ingredients of a poem?

Passion, love, intensity, energy truth, honesty, and connectivity carefully blended into a rhythm of perfection that evokes emotion from the depths of your soul.

7. What is your creative process like, atmosphere, etc?

There no real process for me, it just happens! I can be anywhere and the spirit will hit me and I write….

8. What is your definition of creativity?

Life in all its color and beauty is creativity! It's a beautiful process in which individuality is the foundation, free spirit is the heart and energy is the pulse! You are given a blank canvas to create and define who you want to be.

9. What inspired you to publish your poetry?

A friend of mine encouraged me to self-publish my collection of poetry.

10. On a typical day, how do you record your thoughts?

I record my thoughts on whatever I can grab from a piece of paper to a napkin or a journal…lol

11. What value do you feel poetry adds to the world?

LOVE, color, beauty, inspiration, understanding, hope, an outlet, and conversation that addresses stigma and debunk myths and breakdowns barriers and demystifies taboos.

12. What words of wisdom would you give an aspiring poet?

Embrace your craft, share it with the world. It's a gift that you have been given to change lives, hearts and minds. Celebrate it! Use your power for good!

13. If your life had a theme song what would it be?

There's so many songs that I love and could describe me on any given day. I can't pinpoint one, but it would definitely be something sexy!

14. What is currently in heavy rotation in your ipod/mp3 player/cd player?

I love all types of music and every song I play is always my favorite but I definitely play Maxwell, Raheem Devaughn, Esther, Maroon 5, Res, Erykah Badu, and the list goes on……lol

15. If you had to suggest one book that you have read in your life that was a vital tool, what would it be?

Return to Love by Marianne Williamson

16. Are there any encouraging words of wisdom or favorite quote you would like to leave with our readers?

The fundamental change in life begins within the mind of he who thinketh….

To read more about TaMara Campbell follow the link to our website @ The Pearls Book Club


No comments: